The University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) is one of the leading institutions of higher learning in Nigeria, with a vision to be the most dynamic, innovative and research-intensive university in Africa. Established in 1975 as a college of the University of Lagos, UNIPORT became a full-fledged university in 1977 and has since grown to offer a wide range of academic programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. UNIPORT has 12 faculties, a college of health sciences, a school of graduate studies, and several institutes and centres of excellence.
The School of Graduate Studies at UNIPORT provides opportunities for advanced study and research in various disciplines, leading to the award of postgraduate diploma, masters and doctorate degrees. The school aims to produce graduates who are equipped with the skills and knowledge to contribute to the development of the nation and the global community. The school also fosters a culture of excellence, innovation and collaboration among its staff and students.
UNIPORT offers a diverse range of postgraduate courses, covering the fields of humanities, social sciences, science, agriculture, engineering, management sciences, health sciences, and pharmaceutical sciences. In this article, we will explore the postgraduate courses available at UNIPORT for the 2023/2024 academic session admission exercise.
- Post graduate Courses offered in UDUSOK
- Post graduate Courses offered in FUNAI
- Post graduate Courses offered in MOUAU
Table of Contents
Post graduate Courses offered in University of Port-Harcourt 2023
The University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) offers a variety of postgraduate courses in different faculties and disciplines. Some of the postgraduate courses offered at UNIPORT are:
- Comparative Literature Programme: M.A. and Ph.D in Comparative Literature
- Theatre and Film Studies: M.A., MFA, and Ph.D in Theatre Arts, Theatre & Film Studies, and Film & Television Studies
- English Studies: M.A. and Ph.D in English Studies
- Foreign Languages and Literatures: M.A. and Ph.D in Foreign Languages and Literatures
- History and Diplomatic Studies: M.A. and Ph.D in History and Diplomatic Studies
- Linguistics and Communication Studies: PGD, M.A., and Ph.D in Linguistics, Communication Studies, and Translation Studies
- Philosophy: M.A. and Ph.D in various areas of Philosophy
- Religious and Cultural Studies: PGD, M.A., and Ph.D in Religious Studies, Cultural Studies, and Peace and Conflict Studies
- Social Sciences: PGD, M.Sc., MBA, MPH, MPA, MIR, and Ph.D in Economics, Sociology, Political Science, Geography & Environmental Management, Public Administration, International Relations, Public Health, etc.
- Science: PGD, M.Sc., and Ph.D in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics & Statistics, Computer Science, Animal & Environmental Biology, Microbiology, Plant Science & Biotechnology, Geology, Pure & Industrial Chemistry, etc.
- Agriculture: PGD, M.Sc., MBA (Agribusiness), and Ph.D in Agricultural Economics & Extension, Animal Science & Fisheries, Crop & Soil Science, Forestry & Wildlife Management
- College of Health Sciences: MD/MS and Ph.D in Basic Medical Sciences (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry), Clinical Sciences (Medicine & Surgery), Dentistry (Oral Pathology & Oral Biology), Nursing (Adult Health Nursing), etc.
- Pharmaceutical Sciences: M.Pharm. and Ph.D in Pharmacognosy & Phytotherapy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry & Pharmacology
- Engineering: PGD, M.Eng., MBA (Oil & Gas Management), and Ph.D in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
How can I apply for a postgraduate programme at UNIPORT?
To apply for a postgraduate programme at UNIPORT, you need to follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of UNIPORT and click on the link for the School of Graduate Studies.
- Read the information and instructions carefully and download the application form and prospectus for the programme of your choice.
- Fill out the application form and attach the required documents, such as your academic transcripts, certificates, references, and passport photographs.
- Pay the application fee of N30,000.00 and the prospectus fee of N15,000.00 through the online payment platform or at any designated bank.
- Submit your completed application form and supporting documents online or in person to the School of Graduate Studies before the deadline.
- Wait for the announcement of the shortlisted candidates and the date of the qualifying examination.
- Take the qualifying examination and check your result online or on the notice board of the School of Graduate Studies.
- If successful, accept your admission offer and pay the acceptance fee of N30,000.00.
- Register for your courses and commence your studies.
What are the admission requirements for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT?
The admission requirements for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT vary depending on the level and discipline of study. However, some of the general requirements are:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the related discipline from UNIPORT or any recognized university, with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a 5-point scale or its equivalent.
- A credit pass in English Language and Mathematics in O/Level examinations.
- A qualifying examination result (O/Level, A/Level, Diploma, NCE, and Degree respectively).
- For some programmes, a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) with at least an Upper Credit classification may be required.
- For some programmes, a strong quantitative background may be required
How much is the tuition fee for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT?
The tuition fee for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT depends on the level and discipline of study. According to the question answering results, the school fees for postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT are as follows:
- Application form: N20,000.00
- Acceptance fee: N30,000.00 (flat fee for all PG students)
- PGD school fees: N95,000.00 and N80,000.00 respectively for first and second section of the programme.
- MSc school fees: N165,000.00 and N110,000.00 respectively for first and second section of the programme.
- PhD school fees: N180,000.00 (paid three times during the programme).
These are the current fees as of 2023/2024 academic session. However, extra years spent outside the stipulated duration of the programmes may attract extra fees.
What are the benefits and career prospects of studying a postgraduate programme at UNIPORT?
Studying a postgraduate programme at UNIPORT can have many benefits and career prospects for you. Here are some of the possible advantages of pursuing a higher degree at this prestigious university:
- You can become an expert in your field by building on your knowledge from your undergraduate study or work and engaging with complex topics in a more specialised field of your choice.
- You can learn with engaged course mates who share your passion and motivation for your subject and gain new insights from their perspectives and experiences.
- You can boost your salary and career prospects by having a Master’s qualification that is highly regarded by employers and shows your ability to perform to a high level under pressure and demonstrate your level of expertise in your chosen subject.
- You can open up research opportunities by conducting original and innovative research that contributes to the advancement of knowledge and practice in your field and prepares you for further academic or professional pursuits.
- You can enjoy a rich and diverse learning environment that offers a wide range of academic programmes, facilities, resources, and support services to help you achieve your academic and personal goals.
These are some of the benefits and career prospects of studying a postgraduate programme at UNIPORT. Of course, there are also some challenges and risks involved, such as the cost, time, and commitment required for postgraduate study. You should weigh the pros and cons carefully before making your decision.
What are the duration and mode of study for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT?
The duration and mode of study for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT vary depending on the level and discipline of study. According to the web search results, some of the general information are:
- For full-time Master’s degree programmes, the duration is 4 to 6 semesters.
- For part-time Master’s degree programmes, the duration is 6 to 8 semesters.
- For full-time PhD programmes, the duration is a minimum of 6 semesters and a maximum of 10 semesters.
- For part-time PhD programmes, the duration is a minimum of 8 semesters and a maximum of 12 semesters.
- For full-time Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) programmes, the duration is a minimum of 2 semesters and a maximum of 4 semesters.
- For part-time Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) programmes, the duration is a minimum of 4 semesters and a maximum of 6 semesters.
The mode of study for the postgraduate programmes at UNIPORT is either by coursework and research, or by research only, depending on the programme and department. Some programmes also offer sandwich or online options for flexible learning.
Has this article been helpful to you? Do well to share with others and leave your comments and questions if you have any and be sure to get a reply.