Welcome to How to Make Money on YouTube. There many people wondering how YouTube works. YouTube is one of the Online platform people Use to make money. It is a play people drop their videos on different areas of life to entertain or enlighten people concerning a particular idea or ideas. If you have interesting videos or can showcase you ideas and feelings through videos, then YouTube is there for you to start earning from your creativity
Table of Contents
How to Make Money on YouTube
Step 1: Build your YouTube channel
Your channel depicts your personal presence on YouTube. Each YouTube account has one channel attached to it. A YouTube account is equivalent to a Google account, and creating a YouTube account will grant you access to other Google products, such as Gmail and Drive.
Create your account or use your existing account. Add keywords to enable people find your channel.You can add keywords by moving to the Advanced section of your Channel Settings. Make sure that your keywords are relevant to yourcontent.
Your username can also work for or against you. If it’s usually short, easy to remember, and original, people will be more apt to remember you.
However, if you have an account already, you can always change your username by editing it on your Google+ account.
Creating a YouTube channel using your Google account If you have a Google account, you can watch, share YouTube content. But you need to create a YouTube channel to upload videos, comment, or make playlists.
You can use a computer or the YouTube mobile site / App to create a new channel.
The following are the steps:
- Go to YouTube and sign in: Head over to YouTube.com and click ‘sign in’ in the top right corner of the page. Sign in using your Google account username and password.
- Go to YouTube settings: In the top right corner of the screen, click on your profile icon and then the Settings’ icon.
- Create your channel: Under your settings, you’ll see the option to “Create a channel,” click on this link. Next, you’ll have the option to create a personal channel or create a channel using a business or other name. For this example, let us choose the business option Now, it’s time to name your channel and select a category.
Creating a proper YouTube channel is not a big deal, here is a detailedguide to setting up a Youtube Channel.
Step 2: Add your content
Try to upload content that is high quality, and isn’t super long. (This option can vary depending on what type of content you decide to upload).
Also, try to upload regularly and stay consistent with your uploads.
Even if your content isn’t great at first, keep at it. Practice makes perfect. Try to make each video better than the last. You will often learn as you go.
Improve your content by either using a better camera or trying better editing software or techniques.
Also, try to improve the way things are filmed. Use a tripod, have a friend help you or light your scenes better. It all helps for a better end product which in turn helps you get a better audience.
By uploading regularly you can help hold an audience.
People are more likely to subscribe if you add content on regular schedule, and maintain that schedule as much as possible.
Make sure to tag your videos with keywords that describe the content, as well as an eye-catching description. These will help drive people to your video from YouTube searches.
Step 3: Work and Build an audience
Building an audience is key to increasing your monetization. You need people to watch your ads in order to make any money off of them. There is no one secret to getting more subscribers, just make the best content that you can and they will come to you.
Keep uploading content and try to get people hooked. Send your video out on Twitter and Facebook. Share it with people. Distribute it elsewhere on the internet. Subscribers are essential to becoming a partner.
Interact with your viewers by responding to comments and making occasional videos directly related to viewer comments and questions. Connecting with your community will bring more members into that community.Building an audience is key to increasing your monetization.
You need people to watch your ads in order to make any money off of them. There is no one secret to getting more subscribers, just make the best content that you can and they will come to you.
Keep uploading Videos and try to get people hooked. Send your video out on Twitter and Facebook. Share it with people. Distribute it on other platforms on the internet. Subscribers are essential to becoming a partner.
Interact with your viewers by responding to comments and making occasional videos directly related to viewer comments and questions. Connecting with your community will bring more members into that community.
Step 4: Monetize your youtube videos
In order to start earning money on your videos, you’ll have to enable monetization. This means you are allowing YouTube to place ads in your video. This also means that you acknowledge that there is no pirated material in your video.
- Go to www.youtube.com and click “My Channel” on the webpage.
- Click the link called “Video Manager” on the top bar.
- Click channel and Enable on monetization.
- Get at 4,000 watch hours and 1,000 subscribers
Step 5: Try and get at least 4,000 watch hours to start earning money.
You can monetize a video as it uploads by clicking the Monetization tab and checking the “Monetize with Ads” box.
To monetize a video after it has been uploaded, open your YouTube Creator Studio, select the channel drop-down and click the Monetization to monetize your videos.
Get reviewed after reaching 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and 1,000 subscribers
Upon reaching this threshold, your channel is automatically reviewed to make sure it complies with the YouTube Partner Program terms and their Community Guidelines. Youtube will email you a decision, usually within a week.
Step 6: Set up Google Adsense
You can set up Google AdSense for free at the AdSense website.
Click the Sign Up Now button to begin creating your account. You must be 18 years or older to create your own account. If you are younger than that, you will need an adult to help you.
You need either PayPal or a bank account and a valid mailing address as well as other information so AdSense can verify who you are and who to send the money to. You only gain money per ad click and a smaller amount per view but it adds up over time. This is why having an audience is key.
Step 7: Check your analytics
Once you have some videos online, monetized, and being viewed, you can check out the analytics on them to see how they are performing. Click the Analytics option in your Channel menu.
Here you can view estimated earnings, ad performance, video views, demographics and more.
Use these tools to see how your content is resonating with your audience. You can change your content or your marketing if you’re finding that you aren’t attracting the users that you want to.
Step 8: Market your Youtube videos elsewhere
Don’t put your videos just on YouTube! Start a blog, make a website or post them on other video or social media sites.
The more views it gets, the better. By sharing the link or embedding the video on the internet, you are increasing the chance of it getting noticed.
Step 9: Become a YouTube partner
YouTube Partners are YouTube members who have monetized videos with a large number of viewers. Partners gain access to more content creation tools and can win prizes for the number of viewers they have. Partners also get access to much more community support and tips.
You can apply for YouTube partnership at any time through the YouTube Partner page.
In order to gain access to the most powerful Partner programs, here is a guide:
- If your channel has previously been in YPP: When you reach the program threshold, your channel will be automatically re-evaluated under the new criteria. You can check your monetization status at Creator Studio > Channel > Monetization.
- If your channel has never been in YPP: Follow the 4 steps to join the YouTube Partner Program from your account in Creator Studio. Once your channel reaches the program threshold, you’ll be reviewed to join.
Step 10: Increase your YouTube revenue withaffiliate marketing
“Affiliate marketing” means selling products in exchange for a commission.
Hundreds of thousands of companies offer attractive deals to affiliate marketers who promote their products/services.
What is YouTube Affiliate Marketing?
YouTube affiliate marketing is the process of creating videos and placing affiliate links in the actual videos (via annotations) or in video descriptions, which includes links to products you review and use in your videos that will track a purchase.
If someone makes a purchase using your affiliate link, you receive a small commission for the sale.
You can Sell/Promote others’ products as an affiliate marketer, where huge companies, Jumia, Konga, Amazon and eBay, to smaller companies offer good deals to promoters.
Additionally, as a Nigerian… there are many affiliate networks you can join and I have covered many of them in this post about affiliate marketing programs.
Here are some ideas to make money through YouTube affiliate marketing
- Product Unboxing – In these videos, you can simply open a product in a YouTube video, showing viewers exactly what’s inside the packaging. Then provide the affiliate link to that product website, where it is available for sale online.
- Reviews – YouTube reviews are another great way to relieve buying anxiety and provide an affiliate link.
- Training videos – Lastly, many affiliates make money by simply training viewers how to use a complicated product, and then sending those educated leads to their affiliate link.
- Comedy videos: These are funny videos made in an attempt to make people laugh. These type of videos are very engaging and can drive massive traffic o your channel. E.g Mark Angel Comedy, Ay Comedian etc
- News: News channel is another type of channel that is popular and can gain viewership in no time. You can cover breaking news, multimedia, reviews & opinions, business, sports, movies, travel and more.